What Am I Not Allowed To Store In My Storage Unit?
At 1st Access Self Storage Peterborough, we welcome a varied collection of customers to our facility on a daily basis. From small business owners and local tradespeople through to home or office movers and hobbyists, people use us to store a wide array of equipment, furniture and valuables.
To keep everyone’s possessions safe, we employ a round-the-clock security team who ensure that you’re the only person who accesses your unit. But security measures alone aren’t enough to keep your items safe: we also rely on you.
There are a number of prohibited items which we can’t accept, as they may compromise the safety and integrity of our storage units – and in turn, damage other people’s belongings.
So, what are you not allowed to store with us?
- Food or perishable goods: Unless these are very securely packed, they may attract vermin – so if you’re unsure about the type of packaging required, contact us.
- Any living creatures, including birds, fish or other animals.
- Liquids such as gas, paint, petrol, oil or cleaning solvents: These are combustible or flammable, and present a significant risk in the event of a fire. Likewise, firearms, explosives, weapons or ammunition are also prohibited.
- Chemicals, radioactive materials and biological agents, as they also present a risk to our facilities and customers. Similarly, toxic waste, asbestos or other harmful materials are not permitted.
- Items which emit fumes or a strong smell.
- Substances, items or goods which are illegal to possess or have been obtained illegally.
- Compressed gases, as they could cause an explosion if a fire was to break out.
No matter the nature of the goods you’re intending to store with us, they should all be carefully packed to keep them secure and well protected. Plus, if you have any appliances to store – be it a dishwasher, freezer, lawn mower or washing machine for example – any fluids contained within them should be removed.
Need more information?
If you’re unsure about whether you’re allowed to store a specific item, contact a member of our team – we’d be happy to answer your questions and provide you with a quote either online or over the phone.